Community Plan Update Decisions
- December 1, 2015: City Planning staff announced at the Uptown Planners meeting that the proposed Density Bonus Plan, or Incentive Zoning Program, would be removed from the Uptown and North Park Community Plan updates.
- January 18, 2016: City Planning staff put a modified version of the Density Bonus Plan back into the North Park Community Plan Update. Click here for more information.
- September 6, 2016: North Park Planning Committee voted 11-3 to approve the North Park Community Plan Update.
- September 22, 2016: San Diego Planning Commission voted unanimously to recommend approval of the North Park and Golden Hill community plan updates.
- October 5, 2016: Smart Growth and Land Use Committee voted unanimously to forward North Park Community Plan Update to City Council without recommendation.
- October 25, 2016: San Diego City Council voted unanimously to approve North Park and Golden Hill community plan updates.
- October 6, 2016: San Diego Planning Commission voted to recommend keeping the current Uptown Land Use Element, approved by the City Council in 1988.
- October 19, 2016: Smart Growth and Land Use Committee voted unanimously to forward North Park Community Plan Update to City Council without recommendation.
- November 14, 2016: San Diego City Council voted to adopt Planning Commission recommendations to keep the current Uptown Land Use Element, approved by the City Council in 1988.
University Heights Provides Extensive Input Into Community Plan Updates
Since 2010, residents of University Heights have participated in a community-wide effort to develop their vision for UH and to work collaboratively with City of San Diego planning staff, Uptown Planners, North Park Planning Committee, and other community leaders to incorporate this feedback into plans for our community’s future.
- March 2010: conducted an online Quality of Life Survey among UH residents and businesses to determine the key factors that residents felt contributed to the quality of life in UH. For a summary of results, please click here.
- August 2010: presented a brief history of University Heights and highlights of the 2010 UH Quality of Life Survey at the “Open Mic” session sponsored by the City of San Diego City Planning and Community Investment Department.
- October 2010: submitted recommendations for UH to the San Diego Planning and Community Investment Department as part of the community plan update process for both North Park and Uptown. Recommendations were based upon the results of the 2010 Quality of Life survey conducted among UH residents and businesses, and upon planning guidelines developed by the UH Planning Committee, chaired by the late Mary Wendorf.
- December 2010: conducted an online Community Character survey among UH residents and businesses to determine the key qualities that residents felt defined the unique character of University Heights. For a summary of results, please click here.
- February 2011: presented UHHS community plan update recommendations to Uptown Planners and to the UH Community Association. To download the presentation, click here.
- October 2011 through April 2012: hosted a community forum series, Shaping Our Community’s Future: Tools and Basics of Community Planning, to provide residents with a broad overview of the recent changes to the San Diego General Plan, the community plan update process, the basics of community planning in San Diego, and to invite residents to think about what they value about our neighborhood and their vision for its future shape.
- July 2012: presented a detailed analysis to Uptown Planners of draft land use maps affecting UH proposed by the City of San Diego City Planning and Community Investment Department. Presentation included extensive research conducted by Bill Ellig on Census population and housing trends over the last 40 years and projected trends over the next 40 years on a block by block basis. To download the presentation, click here.
- July 2012: convened a task force of representatives from other communities undergoing a community plan update (North Park, Uptown, and Golden Hill) to identify issues common to each planning areas as it moves through the plan update process, share community successes and challenges relating to the update process, and devise common approaches and strategies that will benefit all communities involved.
- May 2013: co-hosted a public workshop with Chris Ward, resident of University Heights, to obtain input from residents and businesses of University Heights to review the draft land use maps issued by the City of San Diego City Planning and Community Investment Department for the North Park and Uptown Planning areas. To download the community recommendations generated at this workshop, click here. To download the minutes from the Uptown Planners meeting approving the Workshop recommendations, click here.
- July 2015: reviewed and analyzed the June 2015 land use maps proposed by the City of San Diego City Planning and Community Investment Department for the North Park and Uptown Planning areas, as compared to the recommendations drafted by members of the University Heights community at a public workshop on May 16, 2013. To download the analysis, click here.
- July 21, 2015: Uptown Planners votes to oppose density bonuses throughout the Uptown Planning area. Click here for more information.
- October 1, 2015: presented to a record turnout at the University Heights Community Association meeting. Presented options for density and height limits for a vote Results presented to Uptown Planners. Click here for more information.
- February – March 2016: conducted series of public charettes to solicit more input from UH residents
- September 2016: met with Councilmember Gloria’s staff to review UH recommendations.
- Sept. to Nov. 2016: presented UH recommendations to both North Park and Uptown community planning groups, twice to the Planning Commission, twice to the Land Use Subcommittee, and twice to the City Council.